Pages

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Glimpses of Luxembourg City

Since my return from Brazil I have been trying to go out sketching outside on a more or less regular basis.

Having a motivated sketching partner like Zeta, whom I met at the symposium, is definitely helping with that.

Here are a few sketches from this last month.

This one I made on my first sketch crawl with Zeta. We went to Place Guillaume II, or Knuedler as we call it in Luxembourg.

I remember last time I tried drawing this exact view I got very frustrated with the result and didn't even scan the pages.

You can see the rooftops of the cathedral on the left and part of the city hall to the right of the page.

View of Place Guillaume II (aka Knuedler) in Luxembourg City
Keeping it simple
A few weeks ago a good friend of mine came to visit and I had some time to sketch when I took her to see the area of Kirchberg where the European institutions are.

It was my first time sketching there and, apart from the trees, I'm happy with the result.

You can see the European Parliament in the middle of the page. The other buildings are a hotel, a tiny piece of the Philharmonie and not sure what else. Either another hotel or a bank, I think.

Kirchberg
I have to find strategies to draw simplified trees
Finally, last weekend I met with Zeta again. This time we went to the area called Grund, in the valley surrounding the city.

I love this old part of the city with its cute old houses, the river and beautiful view of the fortress.

In this sketch I tried to draw the reflections in the river Alzette.

Although I don't dislike the result, I think I muddied up the colours a bit. It is such a tricky subject!

Grund, reflections, Luxembourg
There were some ducks as well, but I chose not to sketch them

No comments:

Post a Comment